Democrat Pete Buttigieg withdraws candidacy
Pete Buttigieg caused a sensation in the first presidential election in Iowa. In South Carolina, he received only 8.3 percent of the vote. Now he gives up.
Shortly before the Super Tuesday primary, Pete Buttigieg withdrew his bid for the US Democratic presidential nomination. He never again tries to run for political decision in November; the 38-year-old said on Sunday evening (nearby time) in South Bend, where he was most as of late city hall leader. With his retreat, he wants to help his party unite in the fight against President Donald Trump.
“The truth is that the path to our candidacy, if not our cause, has come to an end,” Buttigieg told supporters. “We have to recognize that at this point in the race, the best way to stay true to these goals and ideals is to step aside and help bring our party and our country together.”
The 38-year-old Afghanistan war veteran and former mayor of South Bend took first place in the first vote in early February in Iowa, ahead of the left-wing Senator Bernie Sanders. In the second area code in New Hampshire Buttigieg was only just behind Sanders in second place.
In the area code in Nevada, Buttigieg came in third with only 14 percent behind Sanders and Biden. In the most recent area code in South Carolina on Saturday, Buttigieg achieved fourth place with only eight percent of the vote, the election there was won by former Vice President Joe Biden.
Most recently, he was third in the number of delegates. Before he was Senator Bernie Sanders with 58 votes and ex-Vice President Joe Biden with 50. Buttigieg had 26. After the area code in South Carolina, the billionaire and former hedge fund manager Tom Steyer had already withdrawn his application for the candidacy.